Friday, July 28, 2006

Turning 50

The countdown is on!

I'm turning 50 on August 8th. Instead of moping around and shaking my fist at the calendar, I'm going to embrace it. Enjoy it.

Reason one: I don't have to be twenty again! Oh, I know. Being twenty has its advantages. But I don't want to go back to those days. Don't get me wrong. I had a great decade in my twenties. I got married when I was twenty. I had my two children when I was in my twenties. We bought a house or two and moved more than once. In fact we moved quite often. Job changes were the pits. I spent most of my twenties taking care of my little ones, loving them, playing with them, singing with them, teaching them to read, telling them about Jesus. I also spent my twenties doing without the luxuries many of my friends were enjoying (new cars, new clothes, better furniture) as I stayed home for most of those years, loving those kiddos. I do not regret one bit of time I spent with my children. Today, I reap the benefits of those investment years. I adore those children who are now grown adults. They are the best of my life even today!

But I don't want to be twenty again.

"And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me,
Until I declare Your strength to this generation,
Your power to all who are to come.
For Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens,
You who have done great things;
O God, who is like You?" Ps 71:18-19

1 comment:

TJ said...

I Loved this post!!!
we had a very simular lifestyle!!
I too do not regret spending those precious years with my kids and am reaping the benefit!!
:-D