Sunday, November 12, 2006

Jane Phillips

November 13, 2006

She would have been 79 today. She would have known the hundreds of first grade students who walked through her classroom were better people because of the things she taught them.

She would have enjoyed being at high school graduations and weddings, Christmas weekends with funny family gift exchanges with s'mores over the bonfire and fireworks.

She would have gotten to know her eight grandchildren obsessively.

She would have been proud watching her oldest grandson join the Air Force and been jealous of his tour in Germany. She would have been thrilled when he ended up at N.A.S.A. while pursuing his degree, plugged into a church he loves. She would have enjoyed hearing his plots and plans, ideas and goals and meeting his wonderful girlfriend.

She would have loved watching her oldest granddaughter look more and more like her own image year after year. She would have been entertained by her ability to wear clothes with a flare and would have been enchanted by her singing. She would have adored hearing stories of salty snacks and love with an awesome man who fancies ottersssss.

She would have loved HysterSisters. She would have been proud it was created to honor her life.

She would have still had her joy for life, her joy for family, her joy for Jesus.

And still, 24 years later, I still miss Momma.

"My lucky doll, you're in heaven before me
You were my taste of heaven here
Remember we loved to talk about it, we couldn't wait to get there
So you go on and find your way around now
But remember I'm here missing you
Do me a favor and say hey to Jesus
And tell him I'm missing him too
Tell him I'm missing him too." - Breakfast Table - Chris Rice

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And Dora! She would have loved Dora. :o)

Anonymous said...

And otterssss...don't get me started on his otters! :o)

I miss her, too. I wish I could have known her more.

Schweers' Mom said...

What a sweet tribute to such a lovely woman! I can see why you would miss her...

Joye said...

There's absolutely no one else in our lives like our moms. She must've been so great to hang out with.

Otters? I LOVE otters!

stephanie said...

makes me miss my momma a little less. thanks.

Kathy said...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Kathy}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Just a hug. Can't imagine losing my Momma.