Friday, September 08, 2006

Backend and No Control

I normally love driving the backroad home. The drive is winding and curvy, past fields and farms, sprawling ranches with horses and yellow wildflowers dotting the landscape. Arching trees that create a canopy across much of the road, bathing the path in shadows. I look forward to my drive as a relaxing journey.

But not yesterday.

I turned from the fast paced, hectic street, onto my backroad and discovered within 100 yards an obstruction. A minivan was right in front of me traveling less than 20 miles per hour and braking at every little curve and every little bump in the road.

Now normally this would be acceptable for a few miles. But this country road is usually a 15 minute drive going the speed limit (35 miles an hour for much of it, then 55 for the rest).

It took me over 40 minutes to get home instead of 15.

My relaxing drive turned into a nightmare as I spent all of the drive upset and frustrated, trying to find a way to maneuver around her. To top off the steam pouring from my ears, this backroad has "No Passing" signs throughout the entire journey.

Who was in the car? A group of women, talking. I guess they had no clue that all of Denton County was lined up behind them, trying to get home.

It dawned on me when I got home that this is my new assignment from God. When I get into my car, I think I'm on a mission to get to my destination. I think the drive is in *my* hands. I think I am supposed to be in control.

Control? Seems that God is telling me, once again, I am not in control.

And I need to trust HIM alone.

"Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go
Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night.

"Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name
You are amazing God
All powerful, untameable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God
You are amazing God" - Chris Tomlin

No comments: