Thursday, October 26, 2006

Autumn is in the Air

I first noticed it in the mornings. Normally I wake up without an alarm clock because the sun is shining in my room and the birds are singing.

But now, if I wait for the sun to wake me up, the morning is about gone! Its staying darker and darker in the morning which is an important clue that the season is changing in Texas.

The garden is doing an encore. The azaleas are blooming one more time and the mums are blooming brillant yellows.

The leaves are sorta changing. A few choice trees have leaves that are turning yellow, some a reddish color. This photo was sent to me by my friend in Rhode Island who pulled off to the side of the road to take this picture to send to me. I can only imagine the gorgeous site of the northeast in the autumn! Here in Texas we will wake up one day in November and find all the leaves on the ground. This is another sign that autumn has arrived.

I actually put on a long sleeved shirt today even though the temps got into the 80's.

Thanksgiving is around the corner and I'm thinking of sweet tater casserole, turkey and dressing, pecan pies, mashed taters and homemade rolls.

I love the change of seasons. While we don't have a huge swing of seasons in Texas, I love the changes in temperatures, apples and pumpkins and the promise of spring flowers when God renews the earth.

"Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his.

He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning." Daniel 2:20-21

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Mmmmmmm...I can smell it. Autumn. (and the Thanksgiving dinner you've described :) )