Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Yuck. Its not for me

I do not like Halloween. To me its not a holiday that provides a healthy, encouraging entertainment nor an inspiring heart for living tomorrow.

Its full of witches and goblins, monsters and blood. Ghosts and vampires. The underworld of witchcraft and paganism.

It adds humor and silliness to a demonic, wicked spiritual world to neutralize its emphasis on evil and death.

I find it incongruent to my life as a christian, a follower of Christ.

But yes, we open the door to little ones with masks and costumes and pass out candy and "trick or treats" which share the gospel of Jesus along with a few puzzles for fun.

Its the attempt to light a candle in a dark and windy world on Halloween.

For a number of years I would dress up like an elf, put christmas lights on my door, have christmas music playing in the doorway and I would hand out Candy Canes. "Merry Christmas!" I would say to those sweet little faces when they held out their hollow plastic pumpkins full of candy. It confused them, I'm sure. But it was my way of providing entertainment and treats with a reminder of a different holiday that makes total sense and embraces life and the worship of the Giver of Life instead of the entertainment of death and fear.

Emmanuel. God with us. Jesus.

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

1 comment:

Schweers' Mom said...

However, this dog picture still makes me giggle every time I access your blog! =-)