Sunday, October 08, 2006

Where in the World?

Citizenship. Its in the news daily. Illegal aliens. Immigrants. People who want to change their citizenship from one country to the U.S.

If you've ever visited another country you learn really quickly the differences from your home and this other country.

If you've visited that country long enough, the new culture tends to penetrate our brains. We adopt to the ways of the country. We acquire a taste for the food and learn to understand and speak the language. Comfort over time allows us to fit in. We adapt.

Today at church I was reminded of my citizenship.

I was born in the U.S., Texas to be exact. I've lived in Europe and in various places in the U.S. My passport says I am a citizen of the U.S. (And yes, Texas to be exact!) But I'm really a citizen of heaven. God's Kingdom. I'm an alien here.

And so my life should reflect my real citizenship.

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." 1 Peter 2:9-11

2 comments:

Joye said...

I have a triple citizenship: U.S. citizen, Cherokee Nation citizen, and citizen of the kingdom of heaven. The latter makes the former two seem much less important.

stephanie said...

great post. thanks!