Sunday, October 29, 2006

Food Food Food

Although I've lost only about 13 pounds, I'm frequently asked by friends about my weight loss method.

I explain that I've been walking and working out.

And then they ask about diets and food consumption.

Numbers don't make sense to me when it comes to food. Oh, I know that food is assessed based on calories, fat grams, sodium, etc. But while I know I should eat 1200-1500 calories a day, keeping track is a hassle.

Weight watchers points is another good system but again, more numbers to track. A hassle for my brain.

I like to do what I call portion control. For me its anti-gluttonist. Self-control.

I like eating 5 times a day. And I like eating smaller portions.

I saw a plate portion picture once that made sense to me. It was a visual for eating portions that connected with my visual brain instead of the numbers of calories. It was called 3 Hour Diet. A smaller plate was used instead of a dinner plate. On the plate was a rubrik's cube, a deck of cards, 3 DVD cases and a water cap.

Deck of cards= protein. Usually for me, a meat portion. A chicken breast. A lean hamburger patty. A steak.
DVD cases = veggies or fruit. Salad. Broccolli. Green beans.
Rubrik's cube = carbs. Pasta. Bread. A hamburger bun. Rice.
A water cap = fat. Salad dressing. Butter.

A plate of food. Three hours later a snack which for me is usually a fruit portion or a handful of almonds. Another plate and another snack. According to this article 3 plates and 3 snacks a day would fill you up for the day of calories without overdoing it.

Of course the hard part is eating out. Last night we met friends for dinner at a Mexican food restaurant. I ate too many chips and thought of my pudge dogs at home. (Read previous blog post). When I'm on the run and away from my house my favorite choice is Arby's. I choose a combo #1 which is a Roast beef sandwich (no sauces) with fruit cup instead of fries and a diet coke.

Nopers, I'm not a nutritionist. But for me, it works because I can wrap my brain around this kind of sensible eating. I can also indulge in my favorite foods in smaller portions and tastes without guilt. I can save my "calories" for an ice cream treat on occassion. Diet coke with lite vanilla ice cream (100 calories in a half cup) makes for a coke float that is an awesome treat for my taste buds.

That's it. Nothing secretive about it. Just my own system that works for me in a long run, lifestyle of eating. Less food.

"When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you, and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony." Proverbs 23:1-2

I'm not so sure putting a knife to your neck is needed. Just get up and walk away.

1 comment:

Schweers' Mom said...

It's really not magic at all. Our society has simply lost perspective of what is a "normal" serving size since "super size" seems to be the norm. I'm so proud of you for sticking with it! Way to go, dear friend! I admire your perserverance.