Sunday, August 13, 2006

Book Meme

I was tagged by a fellow blogger with this book meme. This is a challenge to me since my eyesight has kept me from reading like I used to read. In the past I would gulp down entire books in a weekend. Now, because of a weird retina disorder, up close reading is hard as I have to really concentrate to see the fine print on the left side of the page. But I'll take a stab at this...remembering books as one of my favorite pleasures. It goes without saying that the Bible would be the first I'd choose for many of these answers, but if not the Bible:

1. One book that changed your life:
Mere Christianity. I received this book when I graduated from high school but didn't appreciate its content until I was in college. Awesome truth.

2. One book that you've read more than once:
The Hiding Place. The story of Corrie Ten Boom and her family's decision to hide jews during the reign of Hitler. She and her family were caught and sent to concentration camps where she and her sister, Betsy, taught bible studies from flea infested barracks. "There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still..."

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
Like Joye, I'd enjoy having the entire Chronicles of Narnia with me to be forever entertained by Lucy, Edmund, Susan and King Peter.

4. One book that made you laugh:
The Eleventh Hour - a puzzle book with awesome illustrations and a mystery surrounding a birthday party. A great gift for my son when he was younger but I think I enjoyed it more.

5. One book that made you cry [or feel really sad]:
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. Really creepy yet riveting book set on an English estate: Mandelay. Very Victorian and mysterious. Not sure if it made me cry or feel sad but it was an alarmingly intriguing book of odd characters.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Formula and Easy Lessons for Being a Perfect Parent - This has got to be the hardest job in the world and harder still making sure the launch is successful. Thankfully, God provides grace...

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
I'll be brave and say: DaVinci Code. Yes, I know its only fiction. Yes, I know the book inside says it is non-fiction. The controversary has been more than I've enjoyed participating in. Add to that I know of many christians who have glazed over it with the shallow notion that "maybe its possible after all.....". Come on people. Use your noggins. 1500 years later a conspiracy is discovered that was kept quiet all those years? I don't think so. History doesn't support it. And quite frankly I don't know anyone (men or women) that are good at keeping a secret for 1 day much less 1500 years....Its fiction and bad fiction at that (ducking for the thrown tomatoes). If you know art history, you will easily spot the major flaws...

8. One book you're currently reading:
Love is a Wild Assault. Sounds like a silly romance novel but it isn't. Its historical fiction about Harriet Potter, set in east Texas during the early years of Texas as a country and her life throughout the war of the Alamo, the trail of tears, the victory of the Texicans at San Jacinto and her strength along the way. I love historial fiction the very very best of all. One of my other favorites: Follow the River.

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
End of the Spear. I've read "Through Gates of Splendor" years ago and would like to re-read the true story of those brave missionaries who headed to Ecudor to share the good news of Jesus.

5 comments:

Joye said...

The first time I read The Hiding Place I was a new believer and Corrie Ten Boom became my hero for life. Did you know a local university has a Corrie Ten Boom museum?

I loved Rebecca. I also read the "sequel" called Mrs. DeWinter. It was about as good as the sequel to Gone With the Wind! Thanks for playing.

Kathy said...

Which local university has that museum? I'd love to visit. :-)

Schweers' Mom said...

Oooo...I need to read "Rebecca." Craig (my husband) had to read it in high school and said it was a really good read. We just watched the Alfred Hitchcock version a couple of weeks ago. Thought the movie was made in the 40's, it was still VERY creepy. I loved the movie and Craig said the book was much better.

The "Hiding Place" was a good book - I read it in High School. Corrie Ten Boom - what an amazing woman!

Harriet Potter, huh? That made me giggle!

Kathy said...

Have you heard of her? She is a hoot of a Texas character....

Schweers' Mom said...

I haven't heard of her - it made me giggle because it sounds like HARRY Potter. Sounds like a good book!