Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Have you had a mammogram lately?

Breast cancer and ovarian cancer run in our family and so my sister and I have been on alert and patrol for breast invasions for years.

If you haven't scheduled your mammogram this year, now is the time. Do not delay. Yes, monthly self-exams are good but the mammogram catches spots that you simply can't find yourself.

I usually schedule my mammogram during my birthday month but got sidetracked a few years ago so my schedule got out of whack. I think this year I'm going to get back on schedule by adjusting things. Its easier to remember that way.

We received the hard news this week that my sister has breast cancer. Yes, she had regular mammograms. And yes, self-exams too. The mammogram picked up a spot that couldn't be felt either by her doctor or her own fingers. We are grateful for those wonderful imaging machines that squish and squeeze the "girls" into pancakes.

And out of the distress, heartache and pain of receiving such frightening news, we will rejoice in God for the technology marvels of the mammogram.

And I ask for you to add "Kathy's sister" to your prayer list as surgery is scheduled and treatments are explored.

"I am in pain and distress;
may your salvation, O God, protect me.

I will praise God's name in song
and glorify him with thanksgiving." Psalm 69:29-30

2 comments:

Joye said...

You got it. Kathy's Sister is being prayed for at our house. Keep us posted.

Schweers' Mom said...

I used the same cartoon on my blog when I had my mammogram back in July. What a hoot (and sadly true!).