Tuesday, August 29, 2006

HGTV!

I'm an HGTV addict. I love to watch the home decorating shows to be inspired for room makeovers. I love the colors on the walls, the fabrics on the windows, the pillow covers, the lamps and accessories. I love to see the excitement on the homeowners' faces when their room is revealed.

And then reality sinks in.

The shows are inspiring, but quite frustrating if you end up believing what you saw in a one hour show can be accomplished in one hour. Ha!

Its not a matter of time to paint four walls but the time to prepare those walls. Its not a matter of changing out the fabric on those chairs but time to find the perfect fabric, find an upholsterer (if more than a few staples are needed), deliver the chairs, pick them up. Its not a matter of hanging the drapes, but finding the fabric, hanging the hardware, measuring the fabric and making the drapes.

I've learned this with my latest HGTV project. I'm trying to get my kitchen chairs reupholstered. I found the fabric. I have the chairs. Now I need to find someone to sew up the piped edged cushions and reattach them. And then get them back in my kitchen before supper.

Its the illusion of TV makeovers.

I'm glad that God's plan is for my life is a makeover where he manages the details and drags off all the old stuff. I show up to renew my mind and rely on Him to make the needed changes. While its not easy, its certainly the best makeover this side of eternity.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

3 comments:

Joye said...

I used to really enjoy watching HGTV. You can get so many good ideas. But you're definitely right, those good ideas aren't as easy in reality as they are on TV!

Anonymous said...

Hi, My name is Antique Mommy and I'm an HGTV addict. I also do some interior design work, so I know of what ye speak in terms of the effort to get something done. That's why people hire designers, because it's a lot of work!

Love how you tied your point to how God works in your life. I'm just grateful God is willing to do a complete remodel on me every few years instead of... don't want to think about instead of.

TJ said...

HI!
I'm here visiting from Hystersisters.com!
I love your blog!!
I'm going to mark it and come back for a visit!
I love the Food Network too...Paula Deen is my favorite even though she makes things "look" easy they rarely are for me, just the same with HGTV...loved the verse...thanks so much for sharing!!
:-D