Friday, August 11, 2006

HRT - Still a balancing act

Its been eight years since my hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo and oopherectomy and it hasn't always been easy. I spent a good part of my first year of recovery trying to find a hormone therapy that worked. It wasn't just a matter of hot flash management. It was a matter of many other things. Stamina. Sleeping. Feeling "normal" - whatever that is.

After a year of trial and error, I found a hormone therapy that worked for me and I've used. And then this spring, seven and a half years later, another adjustment was needed. I started to struggle with insomnia and adrenaline rushes. My doctor is awesome. She checked my cortisol levels and found that my hormone therapy was probably contributing to the symptoms. And so, we started adjusting and tweaking again.

Its a journey requiring persistence. And so I trudge on.

We have adjusted them once again in an attempt to find my new levels and I'm still hanging on, hoping my balance can be measured accurately once again.

Estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, magnesium, vitamin D, omega3....

Amazing what a gal goes through without ovaries to manage these things! I'd like to sleep "like a log" once again.

"I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me." Psalm 3:5

1 comment:

Joye said...

A woman from one of my JOY groups had a hysterectomy w/ BSO on Tuesday. I gave her the link to Hystersisters last week. She said she and her husband spent time on the site and it helped them a lot. Thanks once again!!

Hope you get everything balanced.