Saturday, August 05, 2006

Treasured Paths

I try to walk everyday. This isn't a noble act but one of need. I lead more of a sedatary life now that I'm not teaching school. Most days I walk in the evenings. Its still hot when I head out of the house but I try to time it so that I'm walking as the sun goes down and won't be beating right on top of my head. I take water, a cell phone and my talking pedometer.

Sometimes, if I know the evening will be busy with other activities, I walk in the morning.I'm not a morning person.

No matter when I walk, I have choices on my journey. My intent is to walk over 1.5 miles. If I stick to my planned course I end up at 1.9 miles in about 35 minutes. On this particular course are several hills that wear me out. Literally.

My neighborhood is a wonderful walking neighborhood with winding streets in one direction and there is a spiral street dissecting all the streets. At any corner, I have a variety of choices to make. Each taking me down a different street. All bring me home.

Sometimes, I'm in a hurry or I'm too tired and I take the easy options.

I realized this morning as I was trudging along that when I take the easier streets, I miss the prettiest yards. There are some yards and streets that are absolutely beautiful. Their landscaping is laid out to perfection. The crepe myrtles are blooming. The periwinkles perky. I love a particular street as it has several pretty houses all laid out next to each other. But I realize when I take the easy way home, I miss this street.

Then I thought of God's ways with us. In our choices along our life's journey, sometimes taking the easy way robs us of the treasures we find in the hard stuff. Or, if God takes us down the hard path, through no fault of our own, the blessings in the midst might be a wonderful surprise.

"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments,
and his paths beyond tracing out!
"Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counselor?" Romans 11:32-34

2 comments:

Joye said...

Ooo, that's good! Great analogy!

Schweers' Mom said...

Kathy - your words today have really blessed me greatly! What a wonderful word picture. You are sooooo right, too. Thanks for this bit of encouragement. I am reading a book about grief right now. It's titled, "A Grace Disguised." He's so right (like you said) that in the midst of hard stuff, we see God's grace and blessings and find great stuff we would have otherwise missed had we not trudged through the hard things. Oh so true.