Thursday, August 10, 2006

Red Faced Monkeys

It seems that my mind is full of concerns this week. In my world, they are called red-faced monkeys.

My pastor provided this great illustration of the wonder of our brains. Think about a red-faced monkey, what it sounds like, what it might throw, what it is doing. The monkey takes up your thoughts even when you dont' want to think about red-faced monkeys. Now think about the Statue of Liberty. Her color, what she is wearing on her head, what she has in her hand. Immediately you realize that the Statue of Liberty is front and center in your brain as there is no room for the red-faced monkey to take up your thoughts.

Several concerns this week have me distracted. A health concern for two family members. This mom's concern for her child. Red-faced monkeys that can keep me worried and fretful when there is nothing in my realm of control I can do about them...

And so I pray.

It doesn't have to be complicated or formulated. I've learned (and am always relearning!) that I can replace the red-monkeys in my thoughts with other things that are worthy. And in my simple requests without big words and even when I don't know how to word things right, He hears me and answers.

Don't you love that about God?

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart..." Hebrews 10: 19-22

1 comment:

Joye said...

We're praying for you & yours, too. And praying no more 'red monkeys' but only 'whatsoevers.' Phil.4:8